Today was a really great day. I taught my second full class Reading Lesson and it went really well. My Cooperating Teacher told me that I did a great job and the lesson went well. We will also be going on a field trip tomorrow to Healesville Sanctuary. I am super excited and so are the kids. I'm quite surprised they weren't too hyperactive and unfocused during my lesson. However, by the end of the day, they were very unfocused and both my CT and I were both shaking our heads in disapproval. We were both so tired and worn out from the week already that we just didn't know what to do with the kids.
I think one of the reasons my lesson was more successful this time was because it was the second time I was teaching the whole class and they now know what I expect of them and what my CT expects of them. I think the students are also more "used to" me teaching now and are more well behaved. Another reason for this might be because it is the start of the day and students tend to be the most alert and focused during that time of the day.
I think though I did a great job with classroom management, I could improve upon keeping students more controlled and focused during reading groups. Since I am only work with one group, the rest of the students are on their own. Today we had a helper and he was able to work with another group where two students would've had trouble with the work. I wonder what it would've been like if the helper wasn't there and if it was just me alone with the kids. How would I have managed my Teacher group as well as a group that is having trouble with the work? Would I just provide that group with an easier activity than the other groups? I am still thinking about it and I am not sure what is the best thing for me to do in this situation. I should discuss with my CT about this situation and ask her what she would've done and how she would've managed it.
So far this has been a great experience. I have been getting a lot of great teaching experience and I have really been able to learn about the school, staff, children, and parents. I'm hoping that I will be able to learn more about the Australian culture, animals, and the students tomorrow. I cannot wait.
To end with a lovely little snip-bit, one of the grandma's of one of my students is just adorable. She is so loving and kind and has been asking me every morning I see her how I'm doing and if I'm enjoying my experience here. She also offered to bring me out to lunch at a really good Chinese/Malaysian/Asian food place and it just made me feel really happy and at home. I'm so grateful that there is a parent that has been so open and caring towards me since many of the parents just ignore me even when I try to start a conversation with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment