Friday, November 12, 2010

Day #15

Today was sadly my last day of teaching.  However, it was really good to see and reflect on how far students have improved and changed.  The students today finished writing their wetlands animal story and the writing that the students produced was really good.  Although some students that I expected to write more or elaborate on their stories more didn't it was still good.  Others that I expected to write the minimal wrote a lot.  All the students did really good writing and it drastically improved from the stories they wrote when I first started teaching them.
My Cooperating Teacher (CT) was telling me that this is the most hectic but exciting time of the year.  She said that this part of the year is filled with lots and lots of cramming in information as well as trying to get everything done.  Teachers have to write reports, do assessments to see where students are at in terms or reading and math.  It's also very intense for the students because they have so much to learn in such a little period or time.  However it is an extremely exciting time of the year because it's usually the time when Prep students grow the most and make the most drastic changes in terms of behavior, studies, and maturity.  From the time when I started, I have seen some students grow quite a bit and make improvements.  This is really exciting for me and I was only with them for 3-4 weeks.  I can only imagine what it must be like for my CT.
It was also really interesting because my CT was telling me how she wants to get one student on an Individualized Learning Plan because the child seems to daze off into a daydream and ignores everything else.  The child will start to rock on her chair and she enters into a daydream where she is oblivious to everything else.  My CT does not know how to deal with this situation and is now keeping a record of all the occurrences.  For example, today the child was in her daydream and did not hear the bell go and was still outside after everyone had entered the classroom and was ready to learn.  This can be very dangerous and my CT is trying to get help for the student.  By keeping a record of all these occurrences, my CT will be able to track the progress of the condition and show school officials and administration so that the child will be able to receive and Individualized Learning Plan.
I think that I have learned a lot form this teaching experience.  I have also collected a lot of valuable learning resources as well throughout my time at the school.  It's really great and I'm really happy that I was able to be of help to my CT and the students.  I am also excited that I will be going back to the school on Wednesday and will be able to go on excursion with the students.  I'm really happy for this and I hope to have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment