Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day #14

Today I was able to do some testing for my Cooperating Teacher (CT) and I was also able to put up some displays.  It was really cool to be able to actually do testing for students.  The testing consisted of me pulling students out one at a time and having them read me a list of 100 words.  These are high frequency words that students should know instantaneously.  I would call one student at a time and he or she would read me the words.  If he or she was not sure what the word was, I would ask him or her to have a go at it.  I would check the words that students were able to read without sounding out the word or taking too long to recognize it.  It was really interesting the large range in abilities.  One student could only recognize 5 words or so while other students knew almost every word.  I had always learned about doing testing on students but it wasn't until today that I actually got to perform testing and see the range.
Today I also put up displays.  It was really good to see this because it actually takes a lot of time and you just don't realize it.  I remember one of my professors told me that you should change your displays every week f not everyday.  I realized that this is almost impossible because it takes so long to put up displays and figure out places to put things.  It is really nice to have constantly changing and new displays but it is just super time consuming and it is really hard to do.
I have also realized that Australia is a lot more laid back with rules and regulations.  Since today was a really hot day, my CT turned off the lights and had the kids lay down on the floor and she sprayed them with water.  Although it is not harmful in anyway, I do not think this would've been possible in the States.  I think that parents int he States would've said something and it could've been a possible lawsuit. I really like how things here are so much more relaxed and parents, teachers, and students are just very carefree.  In the State's things are much more strict and regulated, but I think this is partially caused by the large number of lawsuits that occur.  If Americans don't like something, they will sue and this is just ridiculous.  This is sometimes really limiting for teachers to do some fun activities I feel.
Tomorrow is my last day and I am really sad about this.  However, I will be visiting the school again after tomorrow.  I will be going on excursion with the students next Wednesday and I'm really excited about that.  It's a way for me to learn more about how excursions work as well as tour around Melbourne a bit more for free.  It's a win-win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment